Tips To Better Reading
Most of us like to read. Most of us want to read, but most of us have a hard time finding the time to read. I know I do.
I've covered my childhood favorites all the way to my children's current favorites and now I'm going to swing towards the grown up side of reading. Starting with ways to find time to actually read.
My top tips to better reading...
- Read Books You Enjoy - This sounds like a no-brainer but there are sometimes where I find myself reading a book that I don't particularly want to read just because someone said I should or everyone else was. It's okay to get recommendations from friends or to pick up a book because you heard good things about it but you don't have to keep reading if you don't really like it. Really.
- Always Have Somethings To Read - Another no-brainer; you can't read if you don't have anything to read. I usually have upwards for 10+ books in my to-be-read pile and many more on my actual tbr list.
- Utilize Your Local Library - I love my library. It's a wonderful place with lots of comfy chairs, places for the kids to read, puzzles for them to do and lots of research rooms. There's also the wonderful lending system that includes all the libraries in several counties as well. If a book I want to read isn't carried at my library all I have to do is request it and I'll receive an email when it's ready to be picked up at my library. It's that easy. I also like the digital library system Overdrive that lets me check out books right to my Kindle as well. Too easy!
- Don't Wait For The Perfect Atmosphere - You could be waiting forever. There are times where I will save a book to read at a later time if I know that it will take me a long time to read of if it's content is one I will have to concentrate on, but overall I read when I can. Thanks to the Kindle app on my phone I can read while I'm waiting for school to get out, at the doctors office, or just out and about. The app syncs right with my Kindle device so I always have my place saved. Sometimes I have no idea what I did without it.
- Quit Reading - Wait, what? Quit reading? Yes, like in number one, read books that you enjoy. If you don't like the book for any reason or if you're just not feeling the story at the moment give yourself permission to quit the book. Flounce it, breakup with it, return it or whatever. I used to pride myself on finishing every book I ever started but when I started to cringe at the thought of picking up a book because I had to finish it... I knew something was wrong. So yes, if I'm reading a book and I'm not enjoying it I put it down. Maybe I'll return to it, maybe I won't but it doesn't matter. I read because I love to not because I have to.